End Of Dadagiri…

|

I don’t know what to say first “Happy New Year” or “Sorry”. It’s been ages I posted anything for readers, so my apologies first. I think the recession phobia has hurt me also, as now I am saving web space on Google servers by not posting on my blog. Actually I received special request from Larry and Sergey on cutting out the number of words I use to write a post, as it’s eating away a lot of server space and bandwidth (All bluff). But frankly I want to thank you guys as my blog has completed 100 visits. (Clap-Clap-Clap…  Thank you...)

There was one more century that was scored during this time and that was 100 days since our very own Bengal Tiger announced his retirement. My life has taken a full circle and has changed a lot since this news, especially my passion for watching cricket. The intensity has come down even at a greater speed than the "Blue Chip Stocks" at BSE post recession.

All this things started on October 7th when suddenly Dada came out at a press conference and announced his retirement post Border-Gavaskar Trophy. I didn't believe my senses and felt that this is again some stunt from the TV channels to garner more TRPs. I was swapping through the channels restlessly (My fingers were pressing the remote button as if it's a telegraph machine, and I am sending SOS messages, sitting on a sinking Titanic). Only after a while I realized that all my efforts are in vein and each & every news channel was showcasing the same news.

Seldom I get moved from these retirement news, but yes one thing is sure my interest level for that sport drops drastically. I stopped watching Tennis post Steffi Graf era, same happened to Formula 1 after Schumacher’s retirement. But this time it was different as it was Dada, more than a sportsman for me, an idol and my very own reflection on the cricket ground. Don’t get surprised as its one of the best kept secrets which I am going to share with you all. 

It took me a long-long time to dedicate a post to my real life hero, not because of my other commitments and busy lifestyle but because I still could not believe that Sourav has retired from cricket. I will no longer be able to see my hero playing for Team India. I feel like taking out rallies to urge him to reconsider his decision again, after all Bongs are good doing all this stuff courtesy Mamta Didi.

It all started during the summer of 1996, when suddenly my mom switched on the TV and watched news with utmost attention. I thought either Indo-Pak war broke out or some politician might have died so there will be holiday next day (Hurray so time for some cricketing action) We used to love those unexpected holidays as that gave us more time to play cricket. But to my utter surprise it was news about some cricketer who smashed century on his debut. At that time I didn’t pay much attention as only cricketer in my book was Sachin, Sachin and Sachin.

During dinner time I got to know that why my mom was so interested in that news as Sourav lived in their neighborhood in Kolkata. After that, all those discussion regarding Bengalis, Bengali culture, and how good Bengalis are started off. My father also pitched into the discussion with his inputs. (I don’t know from were he bought the names of Rabindra Nath and Jagadish Chandra Bose and started correlating with the topic). As a teenager those lectures were pain to listen, I finished my food and before I left the table I said only one thing this guy has just started playing and you all have already slotted him for greatness (Because in my dictionary there was only one great player Sachin).

Though Sourav made a grand debut and won hearts of millions but it took him 2 years to actually impress me. It was independence Cup Final in Dhaka and India was playing against their then arch rivals Pakistan (Now we love to butcher Kangaroos). India was chasing an impossible target of 316 runs, and then it was this tiger who murdered the Pakistani attack. Already by that time there were discussions that this guy cannot play short-pitch and leg side deliveries but the way Sourav was playing it looked as if boundaries are only valid on the off side. He was shuffling to leg-side and making leg-stump balls looked as if they were pitched outside the off. He was dancing down the track and hitting short-pitched balls as if those were half volleys.  In the end India clichéd the trophy and it was a perfect match for Team India and my favorite till date.

The next morning when I was playing cricket with my friends, suddenly I said that I will bat with my left hand. (I never realized how deep was the impact of that man which made me change my stance after playing as a right-handed batsman for so many years). In the afternoon when I went for a haircut I saw a huge poster of Sourav there, I asked the barber to style my hair like that. Slowly I started adopting his each and every style in my life. I also got a pair of glasses for me similar to the one he use to wear in post match press meets. As the time passed by, on the field kids who used to play with us started calling me Sourav Dada. I started enjoying my life as the local Sourav Ganguly. (I never realized that how a hardcore Sachin fan started living life of a mini Sourav Ganguly)

Over the years Dada gave me various moments of happiness and excitement with his performance. I will never forget his consecutive four Man of the Match awards in Sahara Cup, his 183 against Sri Lanka in Taunton, his Swashbuckling 144 in Brisbane, and best of all, his heroics at Lords balcony, waving his shirt and showing his single pack abs which even Aamir or SRK will envy.

His leadership on the field as a captain, his skill to get under the skin of the opponents, his never say die attitude and his ability to rise from the ashes like a Phoenix has given me enough motivation and direction during my tough times. During the entire span of his cricketing life, his career faced many ups and downs which surprisingly coincide with my personnel life. Weather it was highs of 2003-04 or the lows of 2005-06 his life almost went parallel to mine. I don’t know but somewhere there is a “Kismat Konnection”

I very well know that in future I may not be able to see my real life hero in national colors again but I still see him inside me during those weekend cricket matches…

SR

5 comments:

gee2 said...

Hey Bro! I knew that you are a great fan of dada but that bigggg....Well thats a news for me! if you are changing ur stances tht means something actually big.

Ramit said...

Well, your fav innings of dada coincided with mine too and surprisingly the trend continued with the favourite match as well!
Though I am surprised to know that the TRP of cricket channel from your house has been running low due to dada's retirement....I agree idols like sachin, saurav brought us closer to the game but even they know that no individual is bigger than the game! I mean a quality cricket match is a treat to watch irrespective of our favourite player playing in it or not, short term love for the game dies quickly but passion is what makes you a die hard fan and an admirer for a lifetime...so don't give up on the sport , I for instance know only one GOD in cricket that is Sachin and I for sure will be sad and miss him once he retires but game never stops and I shall be ready to see new stars on the horizon....

Sigrid Rahn said...

nice write... congrats on 100 visits to your blog

Unknown said...

So here comes another piece of passion, 'awesome' is the only word coming to my mind. Never saw you a die-hard fan of Dada, always talking about the records of Sachin and getting nervous if Ponting hits a century in any Test. Another flip that made me laugh and felt nostalgic remembering good old childhood days with different experiences. What made me saying 'wow' is, you remember records like verses from The Geeta. I wish Sourav Ganguly should also read this…..
Dear, I would like to say passion never dies and many more legends yet to come.
Moreover nowadays cricket as a game is also witnessing a sea change, in terms of records, players, rules, controversies, professionalism bla bla...How can you miss that...:P
Enjoy the weekend criket sessions and play with same vigor, passion & aggression as Sourav did. :D

Unknown said...

hye it seems that u r die hard fan of dada hmmm its nicely written & makes picture in mind...keep goin..


Your Ad Here