Life In A Metro!!!

|
Most of you might be thinking about the title that why "life in a metro", even i don't know why I selected this name. I must see whether Anurag Basu will sue me for using this name. After all we loved the movie actually most of us can relate ourselves in one or the other role in the movie a great work I must say with equally soothing soundtracks. But frankly speaking my post has no relation with the movie or might have.

It's been seven years that I am out of Allahabad and mostly living in metros if you add my three years at Indore, after all people call it Mini Mumbai so I can avail that discount . Never ever I felt the difference between a metro and a small city. The main reason could be; I might not have thought about it or didn't had time for it. Really don't know what might be the reason but if you ask me to take an option, then I would rather choose the second one.

If you have asked me the difference between a metro and a non-metro before 14 July 2008 my answer would have been big malls with leading international brands instead of local Kirana shop; Pizzas & Pastas in place of Paranthas and Pohas; high rise residential apartments & penthouses in place of individual houses; PVR & Adlabs in place of local Chandralok or Sargam; fuel guzzling SUVs and long sedans in place of an old scooter or an occasional Cielo running on the streets. These were my parameters and frame of reference. Never saw things beyond them, but as life moves on and things change, people also start looking at things from a different perspective don't want to use those cliche phrases like people gain experience and maturity with age and all that shitty stuff, no offence to elders.

But now I can actually see things from a different angle. Earlier when I was in hostel and during my initial days in flat with friends there was always a sense of security, that somebody is there with me on whom I can fall back. That feeling has lost somewhere and I find myself in a situation clueless. Actually things started the moment I left my office, this time I took a different route as recently I have shifted to Gurgaon the city of malls. For the first time in my life I was thinking what to do next should I go home now? what a silly question, bloody I burnt my bum for 8 and 1/2 hours and after that I am thinking whether I should go or not or stay back in the office. That was the first lesson I learnt about "life in a metro" you have only two things place of work (office) and place to sleep (I won't call it home).

I decided to go to a nearby shopping plaza to Kill Time. There were many branded outlets to choose from. I decided to enter one and started searching things, soon I was through with the shopping hardly in five minutes pretty long by my standards but then suddenly I started comparing things like; a 50 ml bottle with a 75 ml bottle; one brand with another and so on. After all I had to kill time so I was doing this typical indian housewife stuff, and I am sure I can beat them when it comes to select the best buy; courtesy my unitary method skills. When I was at the checkout counter the sales girl gave me cute smile from where all these stores hire these beautiful girls, you won't find a single one like her on the streets of Allahabad. I thought that was the most beautiful and genuine gesture I got since morning. But I was wrong, actually I paid a good amount in terms of sales tax and VAT. Lesson number two that nobody is going to even smile read human gesture if he/she doesn't have a vested interest.

I hurriedly completed my shopping, and took some sweets for puja as I have shifted to a new place so will give it to my neighbours in the same building. Reached home and saw a total blackout, immediately words from my friend lingered in my ears welcome to Gurgaon. I quickly changed and with a smiling face went to the first floor to greet one of my neighbours. The lady opened the door and looked at me as I was a salesman, came to sell some new kitchen appliance or whatever, she darted questions on me as I was one of the prime suspects of "Arushi murder case". I felt so disgusted that I quickly handed over the packet of sweets and the lady took it without any gratitude and shut the door. This entire episode happened at the doorstep people don't even have the courtesy to ask a new neighbour to sit and greet him with a glass of water. I was shocked for a few seconds and finally dropped my idea of giving the second packet to the girls living in the ground floor I didn't want to present myself in a new role of serial rapist in front of them. I moved back to my room and ate the sweets, that was dinner for me. I learned my third lesson quickly that people lack social values and integration, would rather send a friend request on orkut and chat with a person sitting thousand miles apart.

Suddenly it started raining cats and dogs and I was not able go out to make a phone call to my friends my cell was also not working god knows why. I laid down on bed in the dark and started singing lines of my favourite song thanks to Atif Aslam. I was thinking that actually life in a metro is so different, it is not only about those pizza huts, big cars, fly overs and fat salary cheques courtesy MNCs. It also bring a feeling of mechanical routine of work, lifeless social circle and feeling of loneliness. But I am an optimist and take this as the other side of coin, afterall everything has its share of good, bad and ugly.

With all these thoughts crossing over my mind I don't know when I slept on the lap of Morpheus. I woke up and there was a different me, I got two new friends with me. Now we are a company of three I, Me and Myself.....

SR

4 comments:

Ramit said...

"its lonely at the top" they say!
And it is getting lonelier , right from the child hood days of playing with neighbor hood friends to college...the social circle around us got smaller and smaller but never the less quality prevailed over quantity!
As rightly put by you, This Urban life takes every iota of energy from you an d in return, gives you loneliness and even small social setup!...But I am sure the bonds which you have set up so far will outweigh all odds and you will emerge as a true warrior...it's a new experience mate..No matter how much I wish we all could stay in a small town with diminishing distances, the fact remains that we have to adjust to this lifestyle in the best possible manner!..Any ways the weekend is 3 more days away..So lets Make it Large!!

Unknown said...

Hey Buddy you made me remember those days when I used to live alone...but we have to adjust with every new phase and make ourselves comfortable in the same, surly you will be able to do as you have already started. But still no comparison to college days or living at home.

I think this typical "Metro Behaviour" incorporated in all of us. When I am here, a sense of insecurity always prevail in heart, while travelling, in office, at rented home everywhere, because I know its not mine. As you have rightly said, all these experiences add to your learnings, and surly these are going to help us in future, as one thing I am also trying to learn....."To Curb Useless Shopping Urge...Just to kill time" :P

Dost! We all are sailing in the same boat in one or the other sense....."Zindagi tere gam ne humhe rishte naye samjhaye....." Never think you are alone...because your family and friends are always there for you and this is what I have learnt.....Bas yeh samajh jayo...."Hadd se zyaada" ;) Cheers

Ruchira said...

hmmmmm nice post Sujay.....seems life is teaching you many lessons. everybody faces all these situations, so never be sad about all this. This is a part of life. it goes on & on & on.....just take the goodies & move ahead with a smile on face :)
vaise i would say Gurgaon is not a good place to stay, even i stayed there for around 2-3 months, but i found it worst compare to Delhi.
thats why we say that we shud always have gud frends on whom u can rely in ur bad days or wen u r feelin alone :)
and get married soon, ur loneliness will go far away :)it's good to be with your partner/love for the whole life.......
tc, & dnt wory, anytime if u need a frend/sis, u can count me on ur fingers :) i'll always be there.....

Unknown said...

Kya baat hain after all u realized the fact of I me and myself..........
U r actually a very nice writer , initially when u told me to read the posts i felt boring but when i started reading them from the conversation with god to this one , i thoroughly enjoyed ur experiences and they r true .
this exp of being in a metro is felt by all of us somehere and i guess that loneliness and the feeling of being lost in this social world is always there in our heart and mind but its difficult to describe in words but u did it in a very simpler manner ,i loved this post .


Your Ad Here